I’ve just finished a rush job. I hate rushing. I used to do it all the time. This stool was ordered last week, and is required for a birthday on Friday. I’m away at the APF biannual show at Cannock Chase from tomorrow, so it had to be done double quick. I had a good piece of dry elm so I worked that up and made the holes for the legs, and turned down some legs and stretchers I’ve had drying it the house for weeks for another job. Jane made a good job of the requested naming by fire of the seat, got a coat of oil on it, and today I put it all together. Only I found I’d left the stretchers in the garage at home! Rapidly worked up three unused dry pieces that have been cluttering up my bag for some time. Got it all together, wedges wedged, all glued and even just about levelled. Then came the tricky part of cutting off the tops of the legs and wedges without cutting the top, which, if you’ve been paying attention, you will remember now has a name burnt on it and a coat of oil. Touching the top whilst sawing would be very inconvenient, so I had lunch. This is often a brilliant strategy. During lunch I came up with this solution:
I worked up a thin sliver of old oak that was lying in the shavings (see tidying up would have been a disadvantage) and drilled an inch hole in it. I had to enlarge the hole as the top of each leg had been swelled out by the wedge. It certainly kept the saw blade away from the finished seat:
Sorry about the Silky saw, but that is what I use all the time – it does give a rather fine finish to the cut, and copes equally well with green and dry wood. I bought a thin dowel saw with the set on one side only, but didn’t find it very satisfactory and anyway it went West with the last Land Rover (tirade starts about thieving rogues who should devote their evil energies into a proper job etc).
After sawing the ends off just needed knife work to remove the small stub:
This is how it turned out: