I’ve been working on a new display stand to use at shows. Above is the header which will have turned hangers fixed in the holes and it will be fixed above a new trestle table. As you can see I’ve been having some fun decorating it with 17th century-style carving. OK there are quite a few mistakes in the execution, but it is a learning piece. These are only the second to fourth S-scroll designs I’ve cut. I’ve been using Peter Folansbee’s excellent DVD on S-Scroll carving. I’m going to have to do something about either my stance or the height of the bench, or the ever-changing depth of the floor shavings because I’ve been getting an aching back whilst carving. I suppose this is partly because of it’s being a new thing and getting tense trying not to make mistakes, like especially when removing the background from around the last letter!. The most tiring part was matting the background with a punch, even though I did it in four sessions.
I’ve made it from a piece of sweet chestnut left over from an epic milling session making feather-edged boards for a counter front in a cafe. The big Stihl 66 I am running the Alaskan mill with gradually got slower and slower at cutting , even though I sharpened it, made sure there was oil in, and made sure the cut was level. Eventually I gave in a bought a new guide bar (24″) and chain (3/8ths, chisel). This improved matters amazingly, and no wonder. The new Oregon bar has a sprocket at the nose, like my little 18″ thinning 260 machine, it also has to be greased manually daily. Whereas – the crappy worn out bar that came with the second-hand 66 doesn’t even have a sprocket – no wonder life was getting tough!
So less of this mess for a while …
I milled some oak for this job (while the old bar was working pretty well) a picnic table with benches (note the drainers at the rear of the seats).
It runs: 1,2,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,14,14,15,15,16,16,17,17. Hint: you may need to look back to an earlier post on this channel.