It’s started again. A new storyteller’s chair, for East Riddlesden Hall. It will be styled on a shepherd’s chair, but this time I’m building it properly with mortise and draw-bored tenons all round. The bottoms of the legs will be way oversize again as the chair will live out-of-doors and needs to be seriously bottom-heavy. So here’s the first back leg:
Bit more shaving down to get the top ready for framing the back panel. Proper quarter-riven oak. It took Theo and me about an hour to bust open the first split. Hedgerow-grown timber again with branches just where you don’t need ’em. Makes splitting with wedges quite a challenge, but we did it. I tried hauling the whole butt onto the trailer with my Lug-All hand winch, but the trailer side used as an anchor was starting to suffer. I reckon it must weigh around a ton. It was still heavy to pull when halved, and on rollers.
This is the other back leg I was working on today:
The second half of the butt made a good impromptu bench. Once I’d got rid of the bark, sap wood and pith, and shaped it up a bit, sawn off the ends, it was handy enough to carry inside the Bodgery and start some finer shaping with drawknife and scrub plane:
Meanwhile, still a bit of room for cake stands (to customer’s spec., honest!) This was heavy too.