Assorted fire and weather damaged ridge components.
Today I have been mainly fixing the ridge poles on The Bodgery. The flue pipe from the lil wood burner stove (Do you mean that stack of fire bricks on two lorry wheels? -Ed) was fixed to the side A frame at the ridge. Some days the tar gets a bit thick inside and we have a roaring chimney fire – cleans it out well, but the pipe gets a little hot and so do things around it. The ridge juts out into the open and gets plenty of rain and sun, beech and sycamore can only stand so much of that treatment and after 8 years have given up the ghost.
Rolled back the tarps after unfastening a couple of dozen or so ropes and misc. wire and bungee fastenings. Shored up the rafters for the back elevation of the roof, well they’ve been shored up for about a month waiting for me to get round to this.
New load-bearing ridge half way up with shoring holding the back poles up.
Made me blink a bit with all that light. The benches, chopping block and lathe make good foot stools, but there are no steps up to them, so rather an energetic, stretchy day. I put in two poles at the ridge. One to carry the back poles and one to take the tarp above the level of the rafter ends.
One ridge good, two ridges better for the tarp.
Pull over that sheet there boy.
Then on with the tarp. I have two – a white under sheet for light reflection and a green very heavy duty one on top.
Good to have the sign boards back up off the floor.
OK there are another half dozen kicking about around the sides over the shop, making a porch, stopping the rain at the lathe tool end and one in reserve to unroll when the vile East wind blows.
Got that stove pipe away from the inflammables a bit:
Oversized ash ridge with heat protection, need to think about weather protection now. In the meantime it’s the luxury of carefree chimney fires.
Thank goodness for forked branches. what useful shoring up tools
Never cut a forked branch end off.
Fixed the pole lathe treadle again too, the last fix has only lasted a few months, the bike tyre I have used as a hinge for quite a while just broke in two. Decided to use a redundant safety belt from the Land Rover. First job was to make a tool to burn self-sealing holes:
Yeah! Another used chainsaw file re-purposed.
I used a new lacing technique instead of the lashing method I’ve used previously.
We’ll see how it lasts.
Double treadle. Note the hob nails for icy weather.
Had a weekend away in East Yorkshire and found a nice minimalist chisel&punch pattern in the choir stalls
English: Beverley Minster, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, England (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
at Beverley Minster …
Had to copy it – it’s now a frieze on a chopping board.
Looks like they used a chisel that didn’t reach long enough to do the lines in one go. That screw has got to be a much later repair. There were some great misericords, of course I had to be sitting on top of five fools.
Also found some neat flowers growing on the porch of St Mary’s – the other church in Beverley.
Going to master this style of carving one day. But I’ll never be as good as this guy:
Surprising oak grave ‘stone’ by Mr ‘Mousey’ Thompson late of Kilburn.
Also found a series of informal porch decorations – done by foresters, I’ll be bound.
Halved pine dressings.