Now where was I? Keep getting interrupted by courses, stove remodelling, fitting doors, skirting boards, bees etc, etc.
Well yesterday I found I had to split out some more oak for a back panel for the chair. The butt was not so big, but nonetheless still needed the winch to haul it onto the trailer. It turned out to be heavily infected with something oak is prone to but which I couldn’t identify, however, the timber that isn’t rotten is a warm brown. I’ll be making the side wings from it which need to be as light as possible to maintain the bottom heavy weighting for stability.
Here’s me doing some speed splitting – nearly as good as watching paint dry.
(Did I notice the head come off the sledge-hammer? Really! -Ed)
Today I’ve been fitting the panels in the back. At first I was going to have them raised with a small upstanding rebate and worked them up so using a fillister plane and a little finishing plane for the chamfer:
Eventually I decided to go for a less formal fielding without the step as in the East Riddlesden chair:
The riven oak is producing some decent grain patterns, the storytellers will need to beware of this eye in the back of their necks!
I rebuilt the stove today as the firebox was just too big; that was what caused the flue fire. I only need a slow fire to produce smoke in Summer to keep the midges at bay. I decided to try keeping the smoke a bit more under control by adding a plate from scrap steel plate to join the flue to the fire bricks:
On my commute this week a new dwelling has appeared on Silsden Moor, a splendid new shepherd’s hut: